Start Submission Become a Reviewer

Reading: Effect of oral magnesium supplementation on serum magnesium levels in children recovering fr...

Download

A- A+
Alt. Display

Original Articles

Effect of oral magnesium supplementation on serum magnesium levels in children recovering from severe acute malnutrition

Authors:

B. Dakshayani ,

Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Karnataka, IN
About B.


X close

A. V. Keshav Murthy,

Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Karnataka, IN
About A. V. Keshav
Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Karnataka, India
X close

Mallesh Kariyappa

Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Karnataka, IN
About Mallesh
Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Karnataka, India
X close

Abstract

Introduction: Children with severe acute malnutrition (SAM) have increased requirements for magnesium during recovery. World Health Organization recommends routine use of magnesium supplements in children with SAM. But, there is scanty knowledge about the effect of oral supplementation of magnesium sulphate on serum magnesium levels in children with SAM.

 

Objectives: To estimate the levels of serum magnesium in SAM children on admission, in transition phase and on discharge. 


Method: Prospective observational study, measuring serum magnesium levels on admission, in transition phase and on discharge, in 1–59 month old children admitted with SAM and treated as per national guidelines. Fifty percent magnesium sulphate was given at 0.3ml/kg/day for 14 days.


Results: Of the 43 children studied, mean age was 11.54±7.90 months. The mean serum magnesium level was 2.49±0.55 mg/dl at admission, 2.34±0.48mg/dl at transition phase, and 2.36 ±0.47mg/dl at discharge. The decrease in mean serum magnesium at transition phase was not significant when compared to admission. Also the mean serum magnesium at discharge was not significantly decreased when compared to admission. Only one child had asymptomatic hypomagnesaemia at admission which recovered during treatment. 28 (65%) children responded well by gaining weight and the remaining 15 (35%) children did not respond. The study group had an average weight gain of 7.23±4.82 per kg per day.


Conclusions: The mean serum magnesium levels at admission, during transition and at discharge were within the normal range in children with SAM when supplemented with 50% magnesium sulphate as per national guidelines.


Sri Lanka Journal of Child Health, 2021; 50: 22-27

How to Cite: Dakshayani, B., Murthy, A.V.K. and Kariyappa, M., 2021. Effect of oral magnesium supplementation on serum magnesium levels in children recovering from severe acute malnutrition. Sri Lanka Journal of Child Health, 50(1), pp.22–27. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4038/sljch.v50i1.9396
Published on 05 Mar 2021.
Peer Reviewed

Downloads

  • PDF (EN)

    comments powered by Disqus